Ride along with one of the world's finest time machines: Nickel Plate Road steam locomotive no. 765.
NKP 765 features real-time GPS location of the locomotive and its excursion routes keep up to date with the FWRHS with built in Twitter feeds, News and Event page, and a subscription to the railroad historical society's monthly email newsletter.
Owned and operated by Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Inc. no 765 is a 1944-built mainline steam locomotive that operates in passenger and public exhibition service throughout the United States as a goodwill ambassador and living time machine of American industry and innovation. Development of the app was paid for in part for by a grant from the Dailey Foundation.
• The location and route of no. 765, updated every 15-60 seconds when the 765 is moving
• Your location relative to the locomotive and route
• News, Event, and Schedule listings directly from fortwaynerailroad.org
• Real-time Twitter feeds from @nickelplate765 and @fortwaynerails (no Twitter account required)
• Embedded Twitter feed on the GPS map for quick and easy access to up-to-date information
The GPS transmitter is dependent on cell-phone service coverage, but is tied to an enhanced GPS satellite system for better accuracy. Routing and other information is subject to change without notice. Please help railroad preservation by using this information safety and responsibly and do not trespass on railroad or private property. We continually monitor the app for accuracy and connection and service will be intermittent in low coverage areas. Please consult the route map and Twitter feed for information on train status, delays, re-routes, scheduling changes, or other information.
All proceeds will benefit the ongoing maintenance and operation of Nickel Plate Road no. 765 and railroad preservation activities. The FWRHS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to offering outstanding, hands-on educational experiences with no. 765.